Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Goodbye to San Cristobal de las Casas

As our time in San Cristobal comes to an end, I find myself stuck in two places; excited for the journey and adventures ahead yet still sad to say goodbye.

My experiences in this city have been amazing and although not always easy, I will forever be thankful for what this place has given me. Within my time here I have learned the value of honest relationships, of being open minded and committed. I have learned to overcome cultural barriers, such as language and to fall asleep each night thankful of my opportunities and accepting of my disadvantages.

I have learned the complexities and different definitions of struggle, and that one’s challenges in life are no greater and no less than those of any one else’s. All people in life struggle and it is possible to overcome those struggles and be a stronger, more compassionate and competent person. I have learned to overcome these struggles and to express them with pride, and share them with others not as a victim but as a way of healing can be empowerment.

I have learned the strength of community and when people work together they can overcome all odds and all obstacles. It is within solidarity that we become unified as a strong, wise body of individuals.

I have learned so much gets lost in translation; from a feeling to a though, to a sentence and into a story, an article, a photograph or a different language. Often the value and meaning of the message can be lost and sometimes the strongest bonds can be made through silence and a smile but I hope I don’t miss the value of ones meaning within it’s presentation.

I have learned to better understand others you must first understand yourself. I have learned we must respect all people for our differences and similarities, as we are all unique and contribute to the cycle of life in our own way and as equals.

I have learned that life is complex and it can be difficult but it is important to take time to recognize the beauty of our existence and in that which goes on around us.

I have learned the importance to share laughter, struggles, celebration, love. To be true to ourselves but acknowledge our impacts on people and the environments around us.

I have learned not one person can ever know it all, regardless of age, class, gender or race and that it is the desire to learn and to experience in which true wisdom is created.

Each time I return I learn Mexico is a beautiful and rich country, with so many elements to offer the world. I have learned it is not fair to judge a country from such a distance and that it is much easier to point the finger of blame than it is to lift it in support of that which we do not yet understand.

I have learned the value of friendship and of family. We do not have to come from the same place to have experiences the same feelings and thoughts and we do not have to be blood to consider one another a structure of support, and isn’t that what family is suppose to be all about.

Beyond everything I have learned, I leave this place with a feeling; a feeling of growth, understanding, satisfaction and contentment. Although our time here has been short, what I have experiences will last a lifetime. I will always look back on our time in this magnificent part of such a greater picture with fond memories and peace of mind.

To the people at the Treehouse, thank you for allowing us your space to reflect and learn.

To our Mexican family, thank you for your hospitality, your kindness and above all your friendship.

To the friends I have made, I will never forget you and thank you for helping me learn about myself and a culture in a way I could never have previously understood.

To each individual we have met along our way, thank you for being part of our journey and for allowing us the opportunity to learn with you, to know you and be part of each other’s lives.


To the city of San Cristobal de las Casas, I will miss you and will always hold you in high regard.


Gracias, Chiapas.


And now on to the Lacondon……

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.