Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Goodbye to the Lacondon

As we drove out of the most beautiful and breathtaking places I’ve ever experienced, I felt the butterflies beginning to dance around in my stomach.

Yet again, thankful for the opportunity but sad to leave, I gave thanks for all I had been privileged to experience within my time in the jungle.

For sharing moments of honesty and growth with a group of people who had come so far together and for the strangers who had shared a piece of their history and livelihood with us, who welcomed us and had became our companions.

For the moments of appreciated clarity, beauty and reflection while sitting in a waterfall that had flowed for hundreds of years. For the breathes of pure, fresh air that allowed my mind to clear and my thoughts and spirit to heal as we walked through the thick and lush brush of the jungle trails in the last remaining rainforest in Mexico.

To the sounds of the forest who sang us to sleep and welcomed us into each new day, and for teaching us that time is something that we can own and our lives can be all that we dream them to be.

To Yachilan, Bonampak and and Palenque which took us back to a different place in time to learn of our ancestors and the constant struggle, strength and genius of people throughout time within all civilizations.

I gave thanks to the silence in which spoke so loud, so strong and taught me about the world around me and of myself. And as I sat quietly, looking out of the window, we passed a van of people entering the jungle and I gave thanks to them and hoped they would feel the same empowerment and peace that I had as they entered one of the most beautiful and breathtaking places I have ever experienced.

It was at that moment I realized I was leaving the jungle a different person than when I had arrived. There is something about the jungle that does the spirit good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.