Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Friends in beautiful places.

Day 9. Friday, February 25, 2010

Mountains, badgers, pizza, silver and car ride conversations ... what a good weekend!

Something I’ve always liked to do is get to know people living in the town I’m staying. When I was 18 and living in Europe I used a common website called CouchSurfing to help me find people in the area who are willing to get together, show us around and share the secrets of their city. Wonderful experience after the other, it was obvious why I kept going back. I used this with my best friend while backpacking through 10 different European countries and still have nothing but good things to say about the people I’ve met and the experiences we’ve shared.

Naturally I decided to check it out in Cuernavaca to see who was on and how popular it was in Mexico. To my surprise there were over 1,000 people signed up on the site in the town of Cuernavaca, Mexico. I did a refined search; female, close to the city center, etc.

This is where I found Aleta. A Mexican girl living in Cuernavaca who’s lived in Canada, speaks English and would love to meet new people! PERFECT! I messaged her telling her about myself, what I’m interested in, why I’m in Mexico, which days I’m available and my email.

Turns out she lived in Oshawa, Ontario for five months as an Au Pair, which is the town my father lives in and what I was doing living in Europe. She brought two friends and her boyfriend along and we headed to Tepoztlan which worked out since I had missed out with my group.

Like it usually is when you meet new people, the conversation is small and a little uncomfortable but this shortly ended. We grabbed a bite and as a group headed to the top of the beautiful mountain in this magic town.

Huffing and puffing me and my new friends did the trek, stopping for air and encouraging each other the whole way up.

“I remember it being easier last year,” I’d say laughing and half dying.

People would pass and then we would pass them, its a beautiful climb and something you have to do at your own speed. A friend of mine told me a life can be like climbing a mountain. You have to take it one step at a time, push yourself to the top but know your body and know when it needs a break to rest. If you just keep pushing and pushing and never stop you’ll get tired and you may not make it. But if it you take it slow and one step at a time you’ll make it.

Aleta and her boyfriend Sergio were behind us, one friend in front and Rodrigo and I in the middle. I’d stop and he’d reach for my hand and help me up. I’d stop and he’d wait. Two older women were headed on their way down, Rodrigo asked them if we were close.

“If they can do it...” he’d say.

“I can do it,” I’d laugh. And we would continue the climb.

Reaching the top of that mountain was one of the most rewarding feelings. Dripping with sweat we all sat down, waited for the others, had a look around, made jokes, took pictures and tried to figure out the English work for these badger-raccoon-mountain-creatures.

It was difficult to believe the pyramid at the top was once used by a culture of people we’d never meet. They’d wake with the sun as it’s light woke the city below from darkness telling the people a new day has arrived.

We slowly began the descend back to reward ourselves and confirm our new friendship with a bite and a beer.

1 comment:

  1. YAYY, i love this post !! A. you mention meee :p lol and made me think of all of our amazing couch surfing adventures, and B. you got to do it again !!!! : ) : ) thats so sweet...and what a small world, cant believe she was an au pair in Osh! glad you met some nice new friends !! xo miss youuu.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.