Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 5 – MEDS PLEASE!!!!

February 23, 2010

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and desperate pain and discomfort calls for antibiotics!!

Caila and I decided to do something different than the group today and went for a walk in the town where we stay called Ahuatepec. I was fresh out of Advil Cold and Sinus and so, was on a mission to find more. The first pharmacy, nada. The second pharmacy, nada. The third, nada.... but this time the older man behind the counter offered a different solution. He asked if I was allergic to penicillin, nope, okay and he handed me two packs of medication.

The total cost was 45 pesos, $4.50 Canadian.

I thanked him very much and told him how much my ear hurt and the inside of head and so on.

“Si? Ven, sientate aqui,” he said.

He examined my ear and my throat and told me I had an ‘enflamed sinus infection’... grrrreeaaattt, I thought to myself.

He gave me ear drops to reduce the swelling and said if I had any more problems in more than three days to come back and he would be there.

The total cost to heal me was 55 pesos, $5.50 Canadian.

Of course when I returned to the Abbey I confirmed with Loyalist faculty the prescriptions were ok to take, but that will come later.

I walked away with what would have taken a doctor’s note and three days of waiting for an appointment to get. Not in Mexico. Narcotics and Tamiflu are two of the few, if not only, drugs you need a prescription to receive here. Everything else can be found over the counter at any local pharmacy.

Just a few days ago a Germany student staying in Cuernavaca died from self medicating with over the counter ‘prescription’ drugs.

Laws in Mexico are different than in Canada. Certain laws and regulations of specific content, and the amount of content, in each drug can vary. Self medicating at a local pharmacy can be very risky and it is important you can communicate clearly about specific details and it is always a good idea to consult with a doctor if possible.

Lucky for me I was able to speak in Spanish with the man working at the pharmacy and when we returned to the Abbey I knew enough to consult with a supervisor before taking any kind of over the counter drugs.

When I returned to the Abbey and could not find Gary to confirm my ‘prescription’ I broke down in frustration and discomfort. Sarah, a child and youth worker professor from Loyalist College and a supervisor with Quest, was available instead and very helpful. She wasn’t able to read the labels on the medication but her comfort and support seemed to help a million. Between her, a few of the older Quest participants, our translator Neil and the Sisters we were able to hit the nail on the head and find me a cure.

Staying at the Abbey must have brought me closer to God because in any other situation I don’t think I would have had as much help, luck or success with this task. When one of the Sisters entered the dining hall and saw me upset she immediately came over and asked in Spanish what was wrong, I told her I wasn’t feeling well and was in pain and a lot of discomfort. We asked her if she could help us read the medication labels just to triple confirm and she said would. She said it was an antibiotic and it would be very good, but she then told us one of the sisters was a doctor and she would go get her.

The Dr. Sister, or Sister Dr., came in with a stethoscope and checked my breathing, read the medicine labels and re-prescribed me a more accurate amount and sent me to bed. Told me I should stay out of the sun, drink lots of water at room temperature, get lots of rest and no showers for 48 hours to regulate my temperature.

Every time we have a problem, concern, question or anything at all, the Sisters are always able to assist us. They are brilliant, talented women and for 4 minutes... 2..... and for 30 seconds I seriously considered it. I never doubt their judgement or their knowledge, never underestimate their wisdom and consideration for others and will always appreciate their presence and keep them in my thoughts and in my heart.

In all negative experiences we can walk away with something positive. Through this I’ve learned, again, the power of communication, the strength of working together, the important of clarification, the different in medicinal laws and regulation between countries and that the Sisters at Abdia Santa Maria de Guadalupe are some of the most wonderful people I’ve ever met and I thank them for saving my journey in Mexico.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you are sick. Get better soon!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.