Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010


Day 3- The cathedral and my health.


February 21, 2010

Woke up and headed to town. I’m becoming a fan of the public transit in Mexico. It may be bumpy and crowded but it makes me feel more a part of their culture by emerging myself in their world, even something as little as taking the town bus.

While the rest of the group paid a visit to Huitzilac our smaller Quest group, Cailia, Chrissy, Lynne, Melanie and I spent the morning exploring the Cathedral in Cuernavaca. We walked around this beautiful church filled with so much history taking photos, observing the crowds and talking amongst ourselves. Once we had finished we crossed the road and entered the Flower Gardens. To our surprise “Domingo es libre,” Sundays are free! Perfect J We explored this beautiful garden with rose gardens, sculptures, fountains, hidden corridors where if I had a lover, I would take there and spend every Sunday afternoon! It was a beautiful place with a little magic too it. We walked around and talked to some of the Mexicans selling their art work or jewellery. We tried to be adventurous and went for a little boat ride, it was an old fashion rowboat that fit three of us and was quite difficult to steer. Being true Canadians we had to grace everyone with our beautiful singing voices and put on a free concert consisting of “row, row, row your boat.” It was a shame we didn’t have CD’s to sell.

After the gardens Melanie and I headed to an internet cafe on a beautiful side street in Cuernavaca, close to the Cathedral. We saw a beautiful photography school, an old Mexican lady carrying and selling flowers larger than she was, little girls screaming and clinging to their fathers as large bugs with wings flew by, lovers holding hands and families joking and laughing. Perhaps we aren’t so different after all.

When we returned to the Abbey we met with the rest of the group to discover Caila’s wallet had been lost or stolen. Regardless, it was gone and she was rightfully upset. Caila has been living in Mexico since January and will stay until the end of April and so you can see how the loss of such important content as your wallet would be a large setback. As disappointed and frustrated as she was, we tried to be optimistic and look at the lesson learned. Sometimes when we grow comfortable we let down our guard and can unintentionally become careless. Although the wallet was never found everything was settled and worked out, luckily she had left her passport at home. We discussed this as a group and mentioned how leaving your identification, your cash and your bank card all in different stops, even if they are just different pockets, can be a very good idea.

This afternoon the group met with an environmental activist Beatriz Padilla. In the last year my interest in the environment has grown and I have become quite passionate about environmental issues and was very much looking forward to this presentation. Unfortunately for me, I was overcome by another one of my disabilities: my health. Since arriving I have been a little under the weather but able to keep up with the group, this afternoon I lost my voice almost completely and had all other signs of a serious cold. Because we are here for five weeks and I know I am in for the long-hall, I realized how important it is I get back up to par before Chiapas, where living conditions are much more strenuous. I spent a few hours resting in my bed while the others learned important information that I wish I could have been part of. I am beginning to learn how body, mind and soul all work together to make things happen and there must be a balance in order for us to carry on as schedule. Unfortunately my balance has been shaken and I must focus on getting it back in order to get better. I find it ironic how easily our health can be taken for granted until it is weak. Sometimes when I am ill I forget what it feels like to be well because I am not concentrated on my body but on everything else around me. I am hoping one good night sleep will help heal whatever chaos is going on inside of me and allow me to become more a part of the group. Because I have not been feeling well I have been a little distant from the group, not wanting them to catch my cold and not wanting to strain my voice any more than necessary. This disappoints me greatly, because for me this trip is very much about togetherness. It is about community, working together, supporting each other, learning and growing together. I hope that by sharing these thoughts and experiences with you the universe will grant me the privilege of my voice and my health and allow me to take part and enjoy all experiences to the fullest.

Cross your fingers and think healthy thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.