Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Commuters Crash

First Posted on Journalists for Human Rights: Field Notes

The evening was dark and the air crisp as we embarked on our journey to Accra from Ghana’s Western Region. It was not much past 7:00 pm but the quiet, urban roads made it seem as though the whole of the country would be asleep.

The route home was anything but smooth, potholes causing our tro-tro to veer from one side to the other. The vehicle remained silent despite being at full capacity, including three passengers per four rows, plus the small child strapped to his mothers back. We were approximately two hours into our seven hour journey and I had finally managed to reached the point of dosing off.

As my head rested on my hand against the window, I was Instantly and abruptly brought to attention. I was temporarily blinded by the headlights of oncoming traffic as we were forced between the two lanes of the highway.
Initially, I was overwhelmed with confusion until the realization sunk it; we were going to crash.

Our tro-tro after the crash.
Read Full Story

1 comment:

  1. Hope all is well now. Thanks for sharing. Your way of writing this article made me feel as I was in the same trip. Looking for the coming post. Said. Www.MEDIAINTORONTO.COM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.