Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

No more sleeps in my own bed, now I sit and wait - ISW students do Mexico

My bag is packed, the heat is down and my apartment is beginning to grow cold which means it must soon be time to go. Tonight at 11:00pm I will be joining 16 friends, and fellow classmates in the International Support Worker program as we head to the Toronto airport and straight on towards Chiapas, Mexico, where we will be staying for the next 5 weeks as part of our post-graduate program.

Similar to last year when I traveled to Mexico with Quest Internacional, there's the anticipated, anticipation and slight nausea of nervousness as the butterflies in my stomach begin to dance. I have been excited and preparing for this journey for over a year when I decided to enroll in the program and yet, I am speechless.

If there is one thing I have learned as a student in the ISW program and as a participant in Quest, is that all things are unpredictable. As much as we can prepare ourselves, all circumstances have a beat of beat of their own and all we can do is enjoy the ride. I have been going to Mexico for the past three years as a participant in an international and experiential learning organization. Each year I have returned a new person, not remembering who I was before. Each time I feel as though I have grown, in every aspect of the meaning. Mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually. Sometimes it is interesting to think back and remember myself as an even younger girl than I am now. It's funny how in five weeks sometimes everything can change, and sometimes nothing happens at all.

One thing I know for sure, is I haven't a clue what to expect. I am excited, anxious, nervous, rambunctious, gitty, grateful and honoured. I am already so thankful for everything this experience will bring, and we haven't even got on the plane.


Join us on our journey and participate in our adventure: www.ideals.nu

For more information on the International Support Worker (ISW) Program Click Here


Related Articles:


Loyalist students begin four-week journey in Mexico Tuesday

International Support Worker students learn from international development representatives

Loyalist students not concerned about traveling to Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Mn.